Update on my ever-changing living situation.
That next morning after I looked at (and smelled) that horrendous apartment, I woke up early and drove back there. I emptied my car of my massage table to prepare for moving, and I needed to get it back before making any decisions. I thought to myself, "Ok, maybe this morning it'll be different". I walked in, and I was faced with the same thing - urine. I got my massage table, drove to work. At 9am I called my current apartment community and told them what happened.
In an odd turn of events, the person who was going to rent my current apartment decided to rent a 2 bedroom instead.
What? ... Does that mean?... It does? I can stay? And not move at all?!!!
I thought the heavens opened up and said, "Jeanine, we've put you through enough, here is a moment of grace." I was just calling about their other units to see if I could move into those. But I no longer had to. They told me to take care of the other apartment situation first and they'll put a hold on my apartment.
I called Hunter's Glen. Since I no longer wanted to live there, period, much less because of the carpeting, I simply told them that I had a personal emergency and felt terrible but couldn't move forward with the lease (that I technically didn't even sign). The office manager was very nice to me and said, "Well, I hate to see this happen to you, but don't worry, we have a 30 day satisfaction clause. Just send me an email letting me know that you can't stay and we'll forward the security deposit to you at the end of the month, but you will lose the first month's payment."
Yes, I wanted my full month's rent and my $300 non-refundable pet fee. But I was tired of fighting and I was so happy for that 30 day clause. I just wanted to get the hell out of that apartment situation. I emailed him to ask him if I should drop the keys off. He said, "when are you leaving?" I said, "I'm not moving in at all." So when I arrived to return the keys, he said they'll refund everything. Whew!
Next I get a phone call from my current community. "I'm so sorry but your unit actually is rented. But - two things. We're going to contact them to see if they're OK with switching units so you don't have to move. And if that fails, we still have 3 units you can choose from."
I checked back with them at the end of the day, then again the next morning (yesterday), and they still hadn't heard from the other person. In the meantime they showed me each of the 3 units, and I fell in love with one of them. Plus it's cheaper, plus it has a washer and dryer included, plus it has a porch, plus it overlooks the pool! Plus...it had brand new carpeting (I could smell it!).
We get back to the office, and we let the other manager know which one I've selected and she said "I'm sorry, an application has been put on that unit already."
Ugh, seriously? "Ok, in that case, I'll take the 3rd floor unit I liked." (Didn't want that one, but hey, I'm still happy with the other one.)
I get to work and get a phone call. "I wanted to let you know that we made a mistake. The unit you really liked IS available!"
Holy smokes - what a freaking roller coaster! "It's mine! I'll take it - lock it down, send over the papers, do whatever you have to do."
I move this Saturday. Yes, two days. I woke up and I'm getting my cold back. I feel like hell. But I am so happy. My apartment is 75% packed and I have to fight through this sickness and get it all done by tomorrow night. But I can do it.
And I feel like every little thing...is gonna be alright. :)
SO FUCKING HAPPY FOR YOU!!
ReplyDeleteEvery little thing IS gonna be alright :-)
Take zinc and vitamin C and loads of fluids!!
ReplyDeleteFeel better J! xo