So, I heard out of the blue today that a burner (Burning Man) friend of mine had multiple heart attacks, is in ECU in a coma on full life support with no activity and her heart is working at only 9%. She is one of the most non-judgmental, uplifting, strong, brave and talented women I know. Why do things like this happen to people like that? She planned on driving through here to see me with another friend from FL on her way to Boone, NC to see her sister, but they ended up losing time and weren't able to make it here.
When I was introduced to the Florida Burner community by my ex-husband, it was a very tight-knit, cliquish group. It was Lizzy who always made me feel comfortable. I met her at an event, and then a long time after that I saw her and said "you might not remember me, I'm Raoul's wife" and she immediately said, "Of course I remember you, you were the one who....." I was shocked that in the small time we shared together, she actually did remember me. She was the person who made me start to like the group long after I divorced my husband, too. She recently added me to a private FB group of burner women and close girlfriends where we just share and talk about stuff we couldn't in the "default world". It's a great group, and while I still don't share much there, I adore her for thinking to invite me. So when I saw the post from her sister this morning "as you know, Lizzy is struggling and it doesn't look good" and then a comment "looks like she won't make it" - I was devastated. I just kept thinking, "No. Not her!" She has a son who is her entire world. This just can't happen to her. We all need her so much.
She had gastric bypass surgery over a year ago. She lost tons of weight and started riding her bike everywhere all the time. She was just blossoming and she also sings (in fact, that's how I met her...I heard her singing). She has so much going for herself. So I don't know how the heart attacks came on - was it due to the surgery? I don't know. But she's young - around my age!
None of it makes sense. How can this world go on without Lizzy?
OMGosh this is gut wrenchingly sad Jeanine. Holding you and Lizzy for high in my heart and thoughts. So much love and support coming your way.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Dana.
Delete