February 14, 2016
God
Living in the Triangle is odd; it is the bible belt, but there are so many transplants here that you'll find people of many different backgrounds and beliefs, including atheism due to a large science/research community.
Yet still, public functions are heavily laden with Christian references and the use of the word, "God". You'll see people praying in restaurants before their meals, crafting voice mail greetings that praise the Lord, openly display their beliefs in the workplace. And it's all very much accepted here - not frowned upon at all.
I guess I find that surprising.
Yesterday's graduation ceremony was opened with a prayer. Everyone was asked to pray to a Christian God. The guest speaker's entire speech was about God. The student voted to make the graduation speech on behalf of us all was also completely centered around God.
I closed my eyes during the prayer, and I swapped out "God" for "Universe" or "Higher Self" (etc.) and focused on the message itself. They're all good messages that can be applied to everyday life. And I feel that the core tenants of all major world religions are essentially the same. But that's if you believe in any higher power at all. I believe in a greater Universal life force, or energy that I can't put into words, but some people don't believe in anything at all. And that is OK.
What is it that bothers me? Is it feeling like I have no choice? Like sweeping decisions were made for me - for all of us? Is it their sense of privilege without any care at all for other human beings? Is it the church and state issue?
I really don't know. I'm torn because people should be free to practice and believe in whatever they so choose. But that includes me. And my opinion includes everyone, it also excludes everyone, doesn't it? I mean, we can't all practice our beliefs together at once, so it excludes us.
This is why I can say with certainty that I feel religion and spirituality are personal, and should not be enforced in any way whatsoever in public functions where people of all different backgrounds "must" frequent. Like school, like work, etc.
I feel judgy saying that. Is there a better answer? Someone will always be unfairly left out, or made to feel as though others' beliefs are forced upon them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are very flexible, and for giving - I am not certain I could have stayed though a religious ceremony like that.
ReplyDeleteIt bothers me, too, when people just assume it's okay to bring religion into a public forum like that. It's not judgy. It's a legitimate concern. But, we have to pick and choose our battles wisely. You're done there, congratulations! So happy for you. :)
ReplyDelete