January 31, 2016

Early Monday Blues

Maybe if I say it three times, it'll produce results.

Looked at a house today in my price range. Eh. Not so good. I'm looking at another one tomorrow after work if my realtor can get us in.

I'm dreading work tomorrow but trying to convince myself not to dread it. I'm trying to remind myself that some people have it much worse. I'm trying to change my paradigm. But my mind won't stop churning the multitude of scenarios in my brain.

1. Call out sick again (I actually could use another day, but should face the music otherwise I'll drive myself crazy).
2. Arrive at work, book a conference room and hide out for the day, trying to make sense of my workload on my own and play catch up (and apply for other jobs in the mean time).
3. Schedule a meeting with my boss's boss (VP of Marketing) since my boss is too new to understand anything, and profess my utter lack of confidence in the role they offered me/forced me into, and beg for another role, "Anything but this! Please! I can clean a mean toilet! Why yes! I've always loved making copies and answering phones, sign me up! Sex? Sure! Top or bottom?" (kidding).
4. Schedule a call with my boss, and let her know I had no idea what I was getting into, and I simply can't do it. (Looking like a failure.)
5. Get all "HR" on their asses (my roots...marketing is relatively new). Schedule a meeting to let my boss know that I need a full description of the role, an offer letter, and let her know I'll have to turn some other projects down while I'm learning.
6. Prepare a training plan for myself (somehow), and present to my boss before doing #5 to show initiative vs. just complaining without providing a solution.
7. Simple route: Tell my boss I need her help to figure out how to make sense of my new role.
8. Submit my 2 weeks' notice and succumb to full time massage therapy, and find a cheap apartment to rent.

1 is out - too much work to do.
2 is out - if I can't make sense of my role all alone in my apartment, I won't be able to do it at work either - I need help.
3 is half-sarcastic/half serious. When I was offered the position, I was being rushed and I was confused so he talked to me a couple of times...(in his corporate way) to appease me. So I wouldn't be stepping on any toes if I went to him directly vs. my boss. If I do this, I'll take the #7 approach.
4 - having years and years of HR experience - this would give the message: "I can't perform my duties" and is equal to job suicide.
5 - Who am I kidding? They don't have time for this. And...what difference will it make to my peace of mind/understanding my job?
6 - How do I know what to be trained on if I'm the one needing training? I can do a template...set up meetings with key people, get questions ready, etc.
7 - Yeah, this is probably what will happen.
8 - This is unrealistic and I may regret it if, in fact, a solution could be worked out in my role.

1 comment:

  1. So hard to believe it's Monday again already. But! Showing up is half the battle. I used to sit at my desk and sob... I hear you. Just show up. Everything passes. These hard feelings will too.

    ReplyDelete

"If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If broken by an inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from the inside."

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.