January 22, 2016

The Art of Doing "Nothing" So "Something" Can Emerge

I'm sitting on my sofa in my living room watching the ice layers thicken outside as the air becomes cooler and the precipitation constant. More than 20,000 people in my area are without power due to fallen, ice-heavy trees over power lines. Major highways are shut down, businesses are closed, and my power has blinked on and off a few times now already.

What will I do if my power goes out? I've been here before, having lived in FL through several hurricanes and up to two weeks without power. No, I don't mean "oh my gosh what will I do?!" I mean, "Where will my mind go? What will I have to face because there is no distraction for me to busy my mind?" I won't have access to work. I won't be able to cook a meal. I won't be able to dry my hair if  I take a shower (and I really need one right now truth be told!). I won't be able to write a blog post. Or search for homes. Or search for anything - anything to keep my mind busy.

Then I thought about my cats. Hmm. They'll be just fine. They have food and water and fresh litter. No electricity needed. They have fur..and blankets...and me :). Cats are so low maintenance. What have we done to ourselves?

What am I afraid of? Why can't I be still and meditate? Haven't I longed to do that more regularly? Why can't I set up my altar and send some goodness out into the universe, or provide myself with a tarot reading? Haven't I wanted to reconnect with my authentic nature and spirituality? Why must it take a power outage? Why must it be the very last option when all other distractions are no longer an option? Life is so strange.

Susan Jeffers, a famous fear doctor, said, "We cannot escape fear. We can only transform it into a companion that accompanies us on all our exciting adventures." Is that not amazing? Who does that? I want that! Come, my fear friend, I shall name you Victoria Grace, and you shall accompany me on this wild ride called life. You will imbue me with confidence and courage in times of fear and help me to embrace the unknown and transform my irrational terror into joyous anticipation.

Really? Can that happen? If we felt the fear and did it anyway, what would we do? We'll go into the quiet night of no electricity and icy indigo skies and settle the heaviest part of our bones into the darkest depths of our souls and awaken as heroines at sunrise.

Deal? ; )

P.S. As I write this, the snow is coming down harder and harder and truly, the power is going to go out any minute now! It's less daunting now that I wrote about it!

3 comments:

  1. Way to invite your fear to sit next to you, be your friend! You are so in the rhythm. Good luck with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana (always want to call you Bodhi!)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennie! Thank you; yes, my kitties and I are all perfectly fine. I am SO fortunate that I am not living up north...family members are posting pictures of snow covering their cars and doors completely!! Scary stuff...I'm just fine!

    ReplyDelete

"If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If broken by an inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from the inside."

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.