April 8, 2016

Workload

In marketing, we have two launches per year: Spring Launch and Fall Launch. Currently we're in the middle of Spring Launch. My team is the core content team, so we have to come up with messaging, strategy, etc. Because my boss is new, she was late in planning for launch. So the entire department is up in arms because we have ten thousand deliverables due by 4/25. I understand both sides, but I'm getting really tired of this department being so reactive. This has less to do with my boss being new and more to do with the fact that we're always so busy that we never get to plan ahead. If we knew that the new Marketing Director is owning her first launch - perhaps we would have handed her the next launch to give her an opportunity to ramp up? So, now we're slapping something together, and we're all overwhelmed. Instead of a well-planned launch that will attract new customers, it will lack quality since it is rushed. This is my task list for next week - and because I own two markets, it virtually double the amount:
  • Write/Source 6 Whitepapers or other assets needed for each vertical
  • Write 6 solutions datasheets/course lists for each vertical
  • Write 6 (or revise existing) case study/success stories for Solutions pages (may end up repurposing what we have due to lack of time) for each vertical
  • Source/schedule 6 solutions webinars (some thought leadership, and some solution-focused – schedule over next 6 months), cross-vertical
  • Map selected content pieces to buyer’s journey for each vertical 
  • Create list of SEO keywords for Solutions pages (ask Brian)
Seriously. It's impossible. On top of this - "merit increases" were discussed on Monday. When I accepted this new role (hesitantly) back in January, I spoke with the VP of Marketing and told him that due to the significant increase in responsibility, I wanted a raise. He said that merit increases are in April and we're doing a companywide review of salaries to be more appropriate (better paid) for job titles, so not to worry. I was frustrated because I had to wait until April but at least he didn't refuse. So when I discovered that I'm receiving a very low cost of living increase only (although I'm happy I'm receiving anything), I mentioned the conversation I had with the VP, to my new boss. She felt bad and said she wasn't aware (whatever), and said she'd fight for me (which I believe), and that she'd get back to me. We'll see how that goes.
How do they expect me to keep busting my ass when they keep making me feel undervalued? This is an ongoing issue across the entire company. Our turnover rates are through the roof because of this very issue. We're losing really good people. And it's not as though  the company doesn't have money!
Anyway, that's it for today! Glad the weekend is here!

3 comments:

  1. SAVOR EVERY LAST DROP OF THIS WEEKEND! Work...dont pay it no mind this weekend ;) - enjoy your life. Mondays are for back to reality. Saturday is for you my dear! What are you up to this weekend? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked (massage) on Saturday. Come to think of it..that was my last day there!

      Delete

"If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If broken by an inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from the inside."

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.