December 17, 2015

Departures and Beginnings

I had lunch yesterday with a friend in HR, who mistakenly mentioned that my boss was leaving. She thought it must have been announced already she heard about it three months ago. She was wrong; I no idea. Today would be the last time I saw him. He's the first manager I've truly respected in a long time. It was not voluntary (although he positioned it that way, but I know the back story). So, thankfully, he called me into his office a little while ago to let me know. We had a long and very good chat. He's off to better pastures. This news really sucks because I know - even if they think I don't know - who his replacement will be; and, although I don't know her well enough to judge her management capabilities, the short interaction I've had with her doesn't really give me a whole lot of comfort. Who I work with (and for) is really important to me. Really important.

We've been going through so many changes at my company, that things like this are why I decided to finally pursue becoming a Licensed Massage Therapist 14 months ago. So that just in case things don't work out here, I don't feel as though I'll be spending months and months tirelessly searching for work that can pay my bills and keep me happy if I were to be "phased out" due to yet another acquisition. My massage therapy license is something I own, that I can maintain and use to practice anywhere.

I've (finally) decided to purchase my first home for a similar reason. Well, the main reason is that I'm tired of paying a fortune in rent every month for a 750 square foot 1 bedroom apartment. But also, I want to have a place to call my own (that I can afford) if I ever lose my job. I'm buying a very inexpensive home with good bones in great condition that may need updating. I'm fine with that. I want my monthly mortgage payments to be about half of what I'm paying now in rent. Luckily, it's possible where I live right now, so the timing is great.

Another big event is that I'm turning 40 on January 2. I feel like I need something concrete (no pun intended) to show for those 40 years :). 

The positives:
  • I'm finally getting back in shape after putting on a very depressing 80 pounds.
  • I'm getting back into belly dancing.
  • I've earned my LMBT license.
  • I'm buying a house.

Things are definitely heading in the right direction.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulders. I would venture to say your instincts must be solid. You have a possible big decision coming up. Have faith in what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Theresa! It felt SO good to write again!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulders. I would venture to say your instincts must be solid. You have a possible big decision coming up. Have faith in what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes I didn't see yours either. I followed you by copying your url and pasting it into the blog search window (accessed on my computer not the app). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. J, I love this, and your sensibility. I love you and am so happy to be reading you again!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, for some reason, I cannot follow your blog. It says the URL is messed up. Can you give me your URL?

      Delete

"If an egg is broken by an outside force, life ends. If broken by an inside force, life begins. Great things always begin from the inside."

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.